A blog about mundane activities and what songs to do them to!

Our Updates:

Our updates: (Gaetano- Sundays) (Jenna- Tuesdays) (Rachel- Thursdays)

Sunday, October 20, 2013

You should stop, but you won't, because you can.

Hello you marvelous anthropoids!

I'm sure we can all agree that there's one activity we never look forward too. You what?! No way, I love visiting my grandparents! They're so sweet and silly, it's like their children again. Plus they always have cookies. I'm talking about exercising, ya squint! 

Whether you exercise in the morning, afternoon, or night, it's never something that you want to do unless you're a body builder. In that case, exercising is basically your life. So how do we get up and go? What can consistently motivate us to push ourselves to our limits? Muse. Ic. (See what I did there? It's okay, I'll laugh to myself for a minute...)


"Look at high-school-formed-nearing-two-decade band frolic!"

Clearly the answer was music, because that's what this blog is about. Now, I hope many of you readers know about Muse. If so, then we're all great friends and we're all aware of their most recent album, "The 2nd Law", featuring their debut song "Survival." The song is perfect for exercising for a list of reasons:

1. It was created for the 2012 London Olympics (and played at the closing ceremony).

2. It features a separate prelude (titled "Prelude") to help build up anticipation.

3. Matthew Bellamy's voice helps triggers that first rush of adrenaline.

4. His voice continues to chant you along, supporting you every step of the way.

5. The guitar helps you focus on pushing yourself further, to the point that you know you should stop, but you won't because you can.

Muse is one of those bands that performs at concerts leaving you happy you came, because they sound exactly like they do in their albums if not better. I've seen them twice in concert, and both times they display the most outrageous visual performance. At the Olympics, they put on quite a show. Like I said, the song was made specifically for the Olympics, and you can tell by any of the lyrics, like these:



"Race, it's a race

And I'm gonna win, Yes I am gonna win

And I will light the fuse
And I'll never lose
And I choose to survive
Whatever it takes"

Matthew Bellamy wrote these lyrics with the Olypmics in mind. He expressed that it's about total conviction and pure determination to win. Yup, that sounds like everyone who participated in the Olympics. This video will bring you to their live performance at the London 2012 Olympics where you're neurons will joyfully dance with excitement and pleasure. I advise you to stop reading, watch it, then come back...

Don't they kind of remind you of Queen?

So why not exercise to a song that is about pure determination to win?

I'll use the example of running. Picture yourself running outside, because treadmills are nowhere near as fun as running freely outdoors (weather permitting of course). I personally run about four or more times a week. With each run, I do one sprint per mile. My boss, who owns a gym and is a trainer, explained that frequent sprinting helps build up muscle, stamina, and speed. Your body thrives when it's being challenged, so sprint different lengths of times and for different distances. We need music though. Working out has to be accompanied by music, or else we won't get that extra push - especially when running, because not many people enjoy it.

So Prelude and Survival are right next to each other in the "Uhhu- I WORK OUT!" playlist. LMFAO anyone? I'll imagine you all said yes, then laughed. Anywho, so now we start running along. We warm up to the first song, then Prelude comes on. This is where mental preparation begins for the upcoming sprint.  We imagine ourselves at the Olympic's track getting ready to take the baton and race to the next runner. Before you know it, Matthew Bellamy is cheering you on during the beginning of Survival. His voice is about to fire the starting gun, and you will sprint quicker than you ever thought you could - but you have to keep it going. His following guitar solo keeps the flow of adrenaline constant, and your legs follow through quickly. Almost to the end, the guitar pushes you one last time to give it your all.

Aaaand now we slow down to jog and breathe. 
Our legs feel like jelly, this was a horrible idea.
Nonsense, it was a fantastic idea! We just ran faster than most other people could!

The music video for the song is not quite by Muse, solely because they don't need a music video if they performed at the Olympics. BUT, here's the most official music video on the web.

Enjoy the rest of your Sunday. Perhaps half of your day is gone, so have a lovely evening. Maybe your Sunday is over, so have a goodnight. Or maybe it is not Sunday for you yet, in which case you should pre-enjoy the Sunday you will have. But, your Sunday could have also passed, in which case you should be sad because it's Monday; however, you can look forward to perhaps exercising to "Survival" or any of your favorite workout songs. 

Time to Beet it! 
*runs away*

[-Gaetano-]

No comments:

Post a Comment