A blog about mundane activities and what songs to do them to!

Our Updates:

Our updates: (Gaetano- Sundays) (Jenna- Tuesdays) (Rachel- Thursdays)

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

"Can we listen to that Honeyhoney song again, Honey?"

Turnip’s Advice of the Day:
Sit down. Relax. Take a deep breath; now take another one. 


It’s Tuesday afternoon, guys. Do you know how many days we have left before the weekend is here? Answer: Too many!


Here’s a quirky little tune to make your commute tomorrow morning that much more bearable. “Little Toy Gun” by Honeyhoney is a song I had fantasized driving to way back when the music video first debuted on Fuse (“you know, back when they actually played music”) in 2008. Maybe it’s the Wild Wild West influence ringing in guitarist Ben Jaffe’s fine-tuned riffs. Maybe its vocalist / banjoist / violinist Suzanne Santos’s flowing “ah-ah-ah” chorus that, after five years of attempting to recreate, must be a talent specific to her personal vocal chords (or maybe I should keep my day job). Whatever quality it is that makes this song so addictive, it sure does its job! I still find myself blasting the song in the car weekly, tormenting friends, family, and fellow drivers alike as I sing my heart out and air-drum at red lights.

Until writing this blog I thought I’d understood the message perfectly: A perhaps too-independent woman finds herself in a less-than-fulfilling relationship, which she intends to resolve with murder. With lines like


 “I know you've sat alone so many nights waiting for me / Cold, your face like a stone I hang up the phone when we disagree”

 and 

“If you feel like you should pray / Pray for my little toy gun” 


the message seems blatantly obvious.

 Leave it to the dark and eerie space we call the Internet for listeners to suggest a wildly different interpretation. I won’t spell that interpretation out for you, readers, being that this is a PG blog, but I’ll give you the gist – her “little toy gun” may not be an item bought at your local gun store, but maybe at a couples boutique down the street. If you’re still curious, refer to the ongoing Songmeanings.com debate. Personally, I subscribe to the murderous girlfriend theory!

 Not nearly as famous as The Hives may be (good pick, Beet!), Honeyhoney has remained a relatively underground band despite their brief publicity via Fuse. In fact, after five years the band doesn't have a Wikipedia page (and, like geez, man, you have to be on Wiki to be a "somebody!"). Regardless of publicity the duo is still going strong, with two albums out so far and full-blown tours booked all around the globe (if you’re looking for them right now, you’ll find them in England).

If you find yourself as amused as I am with this duo’s unique sound, check out their newest album Billy Jack, which is available now.





Ironically enough, posters for the album depict an empty road that gives me the speeding itch just looking at it. Go figure!

Until next Tuesday, fellow Veggie Heads!

- Jenna "The Turnip" 

No comments:

Post a Comment