A blog about mundane activities and what songs to do them to!

Our Updates:

Our updates: (Gaetano- Sundays) (Jenna- Tuesdays) (Rachel- Thursdays)

Sunday, October 27, 2013

Cutie

Good morning viewers of letters formed into words compiled onto a webpage on a tiny machine that wastes your time quicker than anything! How I've missed you all so very much!

This Sunday will prove to be a bit ironic. You may ask why - well, you probably just did. The reason for the irony is because of the day of this post and the topic of this post. It's Sunday, which has the word 'sun' in it. The sun is very bright due to it being on fire 24/7/365. 

Yay! Science!

Through my harebrained interpretations, this means that Sundays are always sunny. We all know that isn't true, but sunny days are the best. After all, we're able to go outside and enjoy beautiful weather. This clashes with today's topic of the best song to cry to. See how the irony works there? You can hate me now for that.

Onwards!

What do people typically cry about? In my opinion, people typically cry when they lose a loved one. Whether it's the loved one of a meaningful relationship or a family/relative that has passed, losing a person at all can have devastating impacts on your tear ducts. You might not even think you loved the person you lost, but you certainly miss their presence afterwards. I'm going to open up Pandora's box to tell you about a girl I lost, and how it relates to this song: "Tiny Vessels" by Death Cab for Cutie.

In the beginning of 2013, I met this girl, let's call her Cutie (HAHA... come on, laugh!). We both met through a mutual friend. Eventually, we hit it off really well and began dating. She lived 2 hours away from me which was kind of a bummer, but the commute was convenient every time. We made it work for almost six months. Her and I were continuing to click, until the clicking stopped happening for me.

"How? Why? No!" are words I kept repeating, and I imagine you might be too. She began feeling a way about me that I didn't feel about her. Once I knew I didn't feel the same, I had to do what I didn't want to. I drove two hours to see her face to face and end things between us because of me. "Whatever, right? It's one relationship, I'll get over it with time." I try to be smart like that. Well, two days later she asked to call me and tell me things she was unable to think of when I saw her last. I agreed, and we talked on the phone. She said what she had to say and I could hear Cutie struggling to finish her sentences. It hurt. I somehow kept my composure until the end of the phone call.

I leaned up from my bed and put on my headphones, thinking music might help me feel at ease. Tiny Vessels began playing from the beginning, and I heard the meaning of the lyrics for the first time. And I cried. I cried harder for Cutie than I had ever cried before. It lasted 30 minutes.  

The guitar that starts off the song instantly hits you. You know the song isn't going to be a happy one. Ben Gibbard, the lead singer, tells a story that can be interpreted many different ways. His soft voice can comfort you even at your worst time. However, the lyrics following will leave you heartbroken, wrapped with a cold blanket of melancholy. The initial interpretation I believe people get when they hear the first line of this song is that it's about fooling yourself into loving someone:

This is the moment that you know
That you told you loved her but you don't.

You touch her skin and then you think
That she is beautiful but she don't mean a thing to me.

Feelings can never be forced onto someone. It progresses on to explain that you may be able to reach intimacy with a person, but sometimes it stops there. It describes that relationships are always risky, because you have to make yourself vulnerable in order to be successful. Although, if you're not successful, you'll get hurt. You can find more interpretations here:


Maybe the music video might help you see the song in my perspective. I'll warn you that it's tolerably appropriate, unless you're immature and laugh at words like poop... hehe... but really though, it's powerful. It shows a couple flourishing in their relationship, but many times we see the boy walking alone. At some points you'll also notice the girl looks completely heartbroken. However, there's no crying in this video.



Why cry though? Well, everyone has to get it out. Holding back your tears doesn't make a man seem macho, and it doesn't make a woman seem strong. People have weak points. More often than not, these weak points shown by a situation like this. I learned from Ray William Johnson, a famous YouTube giant and soon to be big-time movie producer, that breakups are always hard for both parties. It's a person you used to spend a majority of your time with, so even if you were the one who ended it, you're still going to miss that person for a certain amount of time. 

This concludes today's episode of "How Funny Is This Word." Next week, we take a look at the obscure word avuncular. What does it mean? Why does it exist?  What does it taste like? Can it juggle? Stay tuned for next week's episode when we answer none of these questions and talk about something completely different and leave you irritated that we did so!

!yaD eciN A evaH

[-Gaetano-]

No comments:

Post a Comment