A blog about mundane activities and what songs to do them to!

Our Updates:

Our updates: (Gaetano- Sundays) (Jenna- Tuesdays) (Rachel- Thursdays)

Thursday, December 5, 2013

Chase away the study session woes


I am a firm believer in having background noise when doing any activity. Other people may say it is a distraction, but I find that having absolute silence is the distraction. Considering finals week is almost upon us, I figured I would suggest the best song to study to. Intro by The XX is my pick for this, and I would like to thank Pandora for helping me find this great tune.



A key factor to this song is that it has no lyrics. You might think that I am crazy for enjoying a song that has no lyrics, but in fact, some great songs are mostly instrumental.
Studies have shown that putting on classical music while students take tests have increased test scores. I remember my art teacher in middle school used to put on classical music to help “inspire” us.

In my humble opinion, classical music is mind numbing, but I find this song specifically to be wonderful when doing homework, studying, or for general background noise. You can argue that television does the same thing, but I always glance back at the screen when I’m watching television and doing work. Non-lyrical music is the best for this. This song may be short, but it’s very simple to put on repeat and not even notice the song ending or beginning.

I have yet to check out other songs that this band has produced, but they have received great reviews from critics, especially on their album xx. Recently, they contributed to the newly revived Great Gatsby movie's soundtrack.

I hope you all enjoy this pick!

-Rachel

6 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this blog. I do agree with you that having music in the background while doing homework is a good idea.

    - Josephine Siano

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that music is great while doing work. When i watch TV while doing work i am totally distracted, but when i pop my head phones in I am focused and in the zone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This blog is so great! Not only is the title clever, but learning about what songs to listen to while studying is so useful! Loved it!! - Kim

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love music that doesn't have lyrics. I sometimes find that lyrics are too distracting when I'm doing certain things, like writing a paper or studying. I usually listen to instrumental music or I listen to movie sound tracks when I'm doing work so that I don't get too distracted. Great idea!
    John Oliveri

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this song! Pandora actually introduced me to this song as well and I always turn it on for my workouts, haha. I also find classical music to be a great study helper too :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree that listening to music while you are studying is a great thing. it helps you focus and not be bored.

    Rachel H

    ReplyDelete